period 4 grammar and usage
to learn how to use a preposition + which/whom to begin an attributive clause and how to use relative adverbs in attributive clauses
important and difficult points:
how to choose suitable prepositions in an attributive clause.
step 1. revision
hw checking: understanding some colloquialisms
step 2. grammar and usage
preposition +which and preposition +whom
read point1 and make sure students know when to use attributive clause with preposition.
the pen is broken, so i’ll have to buy a new one. i write my homework with it every day
the pen with which i write my homework every day is broken, so i’ll have to buy a new one.
the man is over eighty. i bought the old picture for him.
the man for whom i bought the old picture is over eighty .
read point 2, get them to write the sentences in formal english.
the maths teacher is the person from whom i got an a plus.
art is the subject about which i know little.
read point 3 and 4,and ask them to write the sentences in different ways.
dad is a person to whom i can easily talk.
dad is a person whom/who/that i can easily talk to.
dad is a person i can easily talk to.
appendix 1) “介词＋关系代词“可以引导限制性定语从句，也可以引导非限制性定语从句。“介词＋关系代词“结构中的.介词2) 像listen to, look at, depend on, pay attention to, take care of等固定短语动词，在定语从句中一般不宜将介词与动词分开。例如：
this is the boy whom she has taken care of.
词可以是 in, on, about, from, for, with, to at, of, without 等，关系代词只可用whom或 which,不可用 that 。
当先行词是way的时候,我们可以使用that 或in which引导定语从句.在这种情况下that 或in which也可以省略
step 3. exercises:
1. language is a city, to the building of ____ every human being brought a stone.
a. which b. that c. it d. this
2. the residents, ____ had been damaged by the flood, were given help by the red cross.
a. all their homes b. all whose homes
c. all of whose homes d. all of their homes
3. it is useful to be able to predict the extent ____ which a price change will affect supply and demand.
a. from b. with c. to d. for
4.living in the central australian desert has its problems, ____obtaining water is not the least.
a. for which b. to which c. of which d. in which
5.the course normally attracts 20 students per year, ___ up to half will be from overseas.
a. in which b. for which c. with which d. of whom
6.a survey was carried out on the death rate of new-born babies in that region, ___ were surprising.
a. as results b. which results
c. the results of it d. the results of which
7. these people once had fame and fortune; now ____ is left to them is utter poverty.
a. all that b. all which c. all what d. that all
8. government reports, examinations, compositions, legal documents and most letters are the main situations ___ formal language is used.
a. in which b. on which c. in that d. at what
9. we need a leader _____.
a.for whom everyone can believe
b. in whom everyone can believe
c. who everyone can believe on
d. whom everyone can believe of
fill in the blanks with proper words
1.the teacher______ ______ i learnt most was mrs zhu.
2. this is the house______ ______ luxun once lived.
3. he will never forget the day _____ ______ he came to beijing.
4.the reason _____ ______ i came here is that i want to get your help.
5. the fellow ______ _____ i spoke made no answer.
6. the west lake,_______ _______ hangzhou is famous ,is a beautiful place.
7. this is the shop _______ _______ my daughter works.
8. the pencil_____ _____ he wrote was broken.
9. she has three children, all_______ _______ are at school.
10.the policeman______ ______ the thief was caught is an
11. i was surprised at the way______ _______ he treated the
relative adverbs: when, where, and why
if the antecedent refers to a certain period of time and is used as the adverbial of time in the attributive clause, when is used to introduce the clause.
i will never forget the day when we first met.
i will never forget the day on which we first met.
if the antecedent refers to a place and is used as the adverbial of place in the attributive clause, where is used to introduce the clause.
he doesn’t remember the name of the farm where his father once worked.
he doesn’t remember the name of the farm on which his father once worked.
when the antecedent is reason , why is used to introduce the clause.
please tell me the reason why you were late again.
please tell me the reason for which you were late again.
1.after living in paris for fifty year as he returned to the small town____he grew up as a child.
a.which b. where c. that d. when
2. the film brought the hours back to me_____ i was taken good care of in that far-away village.
a.until b. that c. when d. where
3. the reason______they quarreled is quite clear.
a. that b why c. when d. in which
to combine the two sentences into one sentence using when why and where
1.i’ll never forget the day. i joined the pla on that day.
2. li fang lives in that street. do you know the street?
3. can you explain the reason .you acted in that way for it.
finish the exercises of c1 and c2 in the workbook.